Thread: Review - CarPro Skin PPF & Vinyl Wrap Coating

Post Thanks / Like

Review - CarPro Skin PPF & Vinyl Wrap Coating

Thank you Avi for sending this product along with a few other CarPro goodies for review.

Products:

CarPro Skin PPF & Vinyl Nano Coat

Cost:
    $74.99

Product description

Quartz is renowned for offering industry leading protection to hundreds of thousands of vehicles worldwide and we are proud to present their latest offering to you! *CQuartz SKIN was developed for application to paint protection films and vinyl film. The greatest enemy of PPF and vinyl is UV damage from the sun, so CQuartz SKIN was designed from the ground up with heavy UV blockers. With both UVA and UVB resistant particles impregnated into the nano structure of CQuartz SKIN, you can be assured in the best skin protection possible for your wrapped surfaces.

Offered in 50ml size, CQuartz SKIN offers resistance to chemicals, salt, and environmental damage as well! This highly specialized nano-coat adds a rich appearance to the surface along with unbelievable water and dirt repellency and a rugged durability measured in years! CQuartz SKIN features easy use in all climates, wiping on and off with ease for anyone trained in coating application! Proper lighting is necessary and some learning curve may apply to newcomers so be sure to visit our professional installers if you are unsure of your abilities.

Protect your vehicle's skin today!

Kit Includes:
    • (1) 50ml Bottle CQuartz SKIN
    • (1) CarPro Foam Applicator Block
    • (5) 4" MF Suede applicators
    • Reflective Hologram CQuartz sticker(s)

Features:
    • Unique UV infused nano structure
    • Repels UV rays, water, oils, dirt, and contaminants
    • Rich warm appearance
    • Easy to use in a wide range of temps
    • Easy maintenance with "self cleaning" properties (Dirt is easily washed off)

Specifications:
    • Expected Durability: 2 years or more
    • Average Thickness: 1~2 Micron per coat
    • Coverage 15ml per coat +/-
    • Water contact angle: 110° or more
    • Minor filling
    • Recommended working temperatures: 40F to 100F

Recommended uses:
    • Matte, Satin, or Gloss Finish *
    • Clear Bra / Paint protection film
    • Vinyl Wraps

Directions:
    1. Prepare the surface to be 100% oil free and contaminant free (see precautions)
    2. Apply the Cquartz Skin over the surface in an even criss-cross layer.
    3. Work in the coat to be flat without high spots
    4. Let flash for 2~3 min and wipe off
    5. For best performance do 2 layers, 2nd can be applied after 4 hours or immediately if baked with IR lights (where applicable)
    6. Keep out of the elements for 24 hours
    7. Do not subject to chemicals for 3-5 days minimum.

Precautions: *
    • Do not use on any surface that cannot be polished until you have mastered the correct application and have proper lighting to do so.
    • Do not apply to a surface that is not 100% clean and oil free.
    • Adheres best to PVC, PU, and TPU films / wraps.

CarPro announced this product at SEMA 2018 and is a new product for 2019. This is a dedicated PPF and vinyl wrap coating. As mentioned in the product description it is recommended for matte, satin or a gloss finish, PPF and vinyl wraps.

The new packaging is nice.

Kit contents and recommended areas of use.

Precautions on the other side.

The labels on the bottles look great.

I do not have access to any vehicle that has PPF or a lot of vinyl. So the vinyl hood scoop on my 2002 Camaro will have to do for now. The last time I polished this car I used Essence and Meguiar’s Extreme Marine Vinyl & Rubber Protectant. Which was and ok combination. It spends most of the time in the garage anyway so I don’t necessarily need anything that lasts a really long time.

I went ahead and gave it a light polish and a polishing pad using the Rupes mini just to cleanse the surface. I followed that up with a wipe down using Eraser. Now this is gloss vinyl so polishing it is ok. If this was a matte vinyl I would not have polished it. So be mindful of the material you are working on.

I applied product to the applicator and a little goes a long way. I applied it to half of the vinyl and then wiped off to see if the coating changed the appearance. It did not alter the appearance whatsoever. It did leave the finish slick as I leveled it. I ended up finishing the first coat.

Avi had told me in an email that Skin can be applied within 30 minutes. But I looked at the included brochure and also on CarPro US and there is a mention of waiting 4 hours between coats unless IR lights are used. I opted to just let it sit overnight as I went to dinner and applied a second coat the following day.

One thing I did notice is that the coating applicator did not harden overnight. But stayed rather flexible. I believe that this is a good thing for the type of substrate the coating is designed for. To give it that flexibility.

Image is after the first coat.

Image after the second coat. Noticed no change in appearance just like the first coat.

Skin goes on relatively easy. Essentially using the typical cross hatch pattern to apply the coating to the surface.

The flash time is going to vary based on the surrounding temperature and humidity. But the wipe off/leveling of the coating is easy. The slickness of surface is felt as the coating is being leveled.

The coating goes on clear and did not alter the appearance of the vinyl.

CarPro mentions that it contains UVA and UVB protection. Hard to test that out but it is good as it will help either the PPF or vinyl surface it is applied to.

At this moment I do not have any photos or videos of the hydrophobic properties of Skin. Stay tuned for some more feedback on that.

I just remembered that I do have headlight protection film on my Grand Prix. They have a coating so I will be polishing that off and applying Skin to put that trough daily use. This will give me a better idea on how it applies to clear film.

The last thing I will mention is that the CarPro brochure states that Skin can be removed with a stripping solution. I don’t know what that exact solution is and hopefully Avi can chime in on that.

No more guess work on the question what coating can I use on PPF?

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent Review!

Very informative application process instructions at 7:54 in the video.

3. Thanks The Guz thanked this post
    Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's been a week since I applied Skin.

The car was not dirty so I just used a spray bottle to test out the hydrophobic's of the coating. It does produce some really tight beading similar to Cquartz UK, Cquartz TiO2 and Gliss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Applied Skin to these Charger matte vinyl graphics. Brought them back to life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are a few more photos of using Skin on matte vinyl. These are OEM matte vinyl graphics.

Skin goes on wet but it is normal. Once leveled it leaves a nice finish

50/50’s after a coat is applied.

Full sun images. Skin gave the graphics a richer color.

Contrast again the black paint

7. Likes Reflection 5-0 liked this post