Thread: CQUK on month later. Is it washed away on the sides?

Post Thanks / Like

CQUK on month later. Is it washed away on the sides?

Hi everyone!
    I am totally new to detailing and protecting car paints, but i read up a bit and had a go at coating my new car a bit over a month ago.
    The problem i am trying to understand is, what is up with the coating on the lower half of my doors? And i wonder if it is totally gone.
    Let me try to explain my process and the conditions i worked in as best i can:

Wash and rinse of the whole car. Light claying where needed.

Polished the whole car with Carpro Essence and finishing pad. Dry buffed it off as i worked my way around the car panel by panel.

Next day.
    Conditions were cold, about 5c when i started, slowly getting warmer as i worked. Very dry air.
    Gave each panel a very light wipe with eraser before adding QCUK and wiping it off after a few minutes with the suede microfiber.

I only applied one layer of CQUK on the car.

During the day i let it cure out in the sun, in about 10c degrees and dry air. About four hours into the curing i noticed a small highspot. Not expecting it to come off easily i tried with the suede anyway and it came right off! Maybe too easy?
    Here comes my mistake (maybe?): Forgetting that the manual said to put on reload after 1 hour or else wait until next day... I added reload after about 6 hours. What could happen for doing this?

During the first week the weather was not too bad, but after a week had passed i drove two hours in a heavy rain storm and it was some time after this that i noticed the water seemed to cling to the lower half of the doors. Could the coating have been washed away by the heavy rain?

I only washed it the first time after 14 days had passed and just carefully with a pressure washer and water. No chemicals before a month had passed.

IMG_5491.jpg
    In the picture the car had just been washed with soap and water and is sparkly clean. Notice how the water behaves and the sharp line half way up on the doors. What do you think?

Is it possible to add a new layer of CQUK without polishing again?

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a similar experience with CQuartz UK 3.0. I also used Essence before coating. The hood of the car is suddenly not beading water after two months. My other car is doing fine, so perhaps it was my use of Eraser to clean it that it was removed.
    Last edited by mugwump; 12-23-2019 at 05:22 PM. Reason: added one item

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeppe View Post
    Hi everyone!
    I am totally new to detailing and protecting car paints, but i read up a bit and had a go at coating my new car a bit over a month ago.
    The problem i am trying to understand is, what is up with the coating on the lower half of my doors? And i wonder if it is totally gone.
    Let me try to explain my process and the conditions i worked in as best i can:

Wash and rinse of the whole car. Light claying where needed.

Polished the whole car with Carpro Essence and finishing pad. Dry buffed it off as i worked my way around the car panel by panel.

Next day.
    Conditions were cold, about 5c when i started, slowly getting warmer as i worked. Very dry air.
    Gave each panel a very light wipe with eraser before adding QCUK and wiping it off after a few minutes with the suede microfiber.

I only applied one layer of CQUK on the car.

During the day i let it cure out in the sun, in about 10c degrees and dry air. About four hours into the curing i noticed a small highspot. Not expecting it to come off easily i tried with the suede anyway and it came right off! Maybe too easy?
    Here comes my mistake (maybe?): Forgetting that the manual said to put on reload after 1 hour or else wait until next day... I added reload after about 6 hours. What could happen for doing this?

During the first week the weather was not too bad, but after a week had passed i drove two hours in a heavy rain storm and it was some time after this that i noticed the water seemed to cling to the lower half of the doors. Could the coating have been washed away by the heavy rain?

I only washed it the first time after 14 days had passed and just carefully with a pressure washer and water. No chemicals before a month had passed.

IMG_5491.jpg
    In the picture the car had just been washed with soap and water and is sparkly clean. Notice how the water behaves and the sharp line half way up on the doors. What do you think?

Is it possible to add a new layer of CQUK without polishing again?

Thanks in advance!
    It almost sounds like the temperature was an issue and it was removed to soon before it could flash to the point where it would be ready to be wiped off.

Quote Originally Posted by mugwump View Post
    I have a similar experience with CQuartz UK 3.0. I also used Essence before coating. The hood of the car is suddenly not beading water after two months. My other car is doing fine, so perhaps it was my use of Eraser to clean it that it was removed.
    It also depends on what type of environment one drives in. The coating could simply need a decontamination wash to remove some of the contaminants.