Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: plastic trim

Post Thanks / Like

plastic trim

i just got wifey a new car and it has a lot of smooth black plastic trim pieces.
    I am not sure how to start with protecting this trim.
    I mean if i was to use a dressing or a restorer product on the trim would i need to clean that product off if i later decided to use a trim coating.
    Should I start with a coating?
    What would the pros do?
    What is the best way to handle new trim?
    Eddie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    What is the best way to handle new trim?
    Eddie

IMHO A Trim Coating is better than a dressing in looks, durability, and longevity.
    I would clean the trim with IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) using a fine short nap quality microfiber towel.
    When it is dry, I would use CQuartz Dlux Trim Coating (Sky Kit) and apply DLux smoothly with the microfiber applicator.
    Then don't touch it until it is dry. When it is dry, (12 hours) I would then smoothly/lightly apply a second layer.

...Just my thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    IMHO A Trim Coating is better than a dressing in looks, durability, and longevity.
    I would clean the trim with IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) using a fine short nap quality microfiber towel.
    When it is dry, I would use CQuartz Dlux Trim Coating (Sky Kit) and apply DLux smoothly with the microfiber applicator.
    Then don't touch it until it is dry. When it is dry, (12 hours) I would then smoothly/lightly apply a second layer.

...Just my thoughts.
    Much respect Merlin
    I will act on your advise.
    TY
    Eddie

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Merlin. On a new vehicle coating the plastic trim is a good option.

I normally just use Eraser after a wash and then coat. Make sure you have good lighting because plastic absorbs the coating differently and you don’t want to end up with blotches. I’ve applied a second coat 1 hour after the first with no issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I agree with Merlin. On a new vehicle coating the plastic trim is a good option.

I normally just use Eraser after a wash and then coat. Make sure you have good lighting because plastic absorbs the coating differently and you don’t want to end up with blotches. I’ve applied a second coat 1 hour after the first with no issues.
    Thanks for leading me by the hand.
    I mean two of the best sharing their knowledge.
    Eddie

Post Thanks / Like
    I am back 10 months later.
    After taking the above advice about D lux i am seeing a few small areas where it looks blotchy, chalky.
    I want to clean this up.
    Thinking a wipe down of the affected areas with APC followed by erasure then blending in of more D lux will fix it.
    If I was to go off in another direction like final solution covered with a sealant would the D lux need to be polish off or will a good wipe down do it?
    Disappointed that i got less then a year out of D lux but I am 77 and don't always think straight!So it could very well be my fault.
    Never to old to learn.
    Eddie

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys it's me Eddie 10 months later.
    I took the above advice except I can't remember doing a 2nd coat but I would surly think I did.
    I am 77 so forgetting what i had for breakfast or even if i had a breakfast is easily left behind.
    I am starting to see a couple of place on the bottom of the trim where it is becoming blotchy ,chalky just 2 small areas.
    I tried to do a exemplary job but maybe my fault.
    The bottom line is what is the right way to bring this back to greatness.
    Do i need to polish the existing d lux off and do it all over or will a touch up do.
    I have never polish plastic trim ? can it be done? is any special product is needed?
    Thinking a clean up with some apc followed by some erasure then blending a coating or 2 of d lux in the area?
    I also had the thought of a heat gun being used in the few small areas?
    Eddie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Hi guys it's me Eddie 10 months later.
    I took the above advice except I can't remember doing a 2nd coat but I would surly think I did.
    I am 77 so forgetting what i had for breakfast or even if i had a breakfast is easily left behind.
    I am starting to see a couple of place on the bottom of the trim where it is becoming blotchy ,chalky just 2 small areas.
    I tried to do a exemplary job but maybe my fault.
    The bottom line is what is the right way to bring this back to greatness.
    Do i need to polish the existing d lux off and do it all over or will a touch up do.
    I have never polish plastic trim ? can it be done? is any special product is needed?
    Thinking a clean up with some apc followed by some erasure then blending a coating or 2 of d lux in the area?
    I also had the thought of a heat gun being used in the few small areas?
    Eddie
    Prep is key for longevity/durability. Also how it is cared for and the type of environment it is exposed to.

What type of vehicle is this? Photos of the time help as well.

A heat gun is not a good idea on plastic trim. It will eventually brittle out the plastic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Prep is key for longevity/durability. Also how it is cared for and the type of environment it is exposed to.

What type of vehicle is this? Photos of the time help as well.

A heat gun is not a good idea on plastic trim. It will eventually brittle out the plastic.

I will keep that in mind.
    The vehicle is a toyota 2019 chr lots of trim running from wheel well to wheel well.
    No pictures sorry.
    Nothing harsh and the car has not needed much care for i also have c-quarts on the clear coat. maybe wash twice in the 10 months.
    I think i will try and blend something in .
    If you would could you answer my question about plastic trim,
    Can it be polished?
    Does it need a polish made for plastic?
    Will the remaining dlux come off with some APC?
    What do you think about solution finish followed up with a sealant?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well washing twice a year is not the best maintenance. That will degrade a coatings performance.

Unfortunately coatings are not set it and forget it. They still need maintenance.

There is no polish for plastic trim whether it’s textured or smooth.

Solution finish is not going to help as the pores are now filled with ceramic which will not allow solution finish to penetrate into the plastic. The rag company has a recent video with Chris West and he goes into detail on this subject. I recommend you watch it.

Your best bet is to wash, prep wipe and reapply DLUX.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast