Thread: Review: ScanGrip MultiMatch Version 1, 2 and 3

Post Thanks / Like

Review: ScanGrip MultiMatch Version 1, 2 and 3

I have been using the Scangrip Multimatch lights since they were first introduced.

To me, they are compact and pack a lot of punch in a small package.
    Here is a mini-review on my experiences with the three generations.

Scangrip Multimatch 1

This was the first light to be introduced, and it is still is pretty darn good.
    It has a built-in battery with a screw-on type connector to charge the battery.
    You can use it from the internal battery or it can be plugged in the wall.
    It has one button on the back - ON/OFF and two levels of brightness and one light color.

Scangrip Multimatch 2

This second-generation light has battery life indicators, brightness adjustment, and two light colors.

The two colors are changed by holding the power button down so it can switch between the led color lights.
    The two buttons on the left +/- allow more adjustment of the brightness rather than just bright and brighter.
    It has an internal battery with a simpler twist on/twist off power connector that is much faster to use than the V1.

Scangrip Multimatch 3

This is the new dog on the porch! It has been out a little over a year now and it has many new features.
    I must admit I was hesitant about purchasing "more lights" as the V1 and V2 lights have worked well for me.
    This light has FIVE different color temperatures. This feature to me was more useful for using it on different color paints.

It also has Bluetooth. The Bluetooth app can control up to 4 lights. Ok, I thought this feature was a bit goofy at first...
    I asked the Scangrip folks why would I need Bluetooth and they said. "If it's on a tripod 9 feet in the air then Bluetooth is good."
    Well maybe with the MultiMatch 8 - 8000 Lumen Lamp model but the MultiMatch 3 is 3000 Lumen and I use them closer to the ground.

Now the interesting part. IMHO by adding the 4th button on the back it made the buttons smaller, and for me, a bit more difficult to use.
    Back to the BT...I now find it is easier to control the lights using the BT on my phone rather than fumbling for the small back buttons.

The things I like...
    I like the range and flow between light colors rather than one or the other.
    The Yellow side of the light spectrum is MUCH better on the V3, and I can see swirls much easier.
    (be careful you can make a career out of the paint correction on a vehicle with a V3)
    The battery pack is removable. You can plug the light directly into A/C and you can charge the battery off-line.

Bottom Line: This is THE tool for finding imperfections in the paint. The V3 has quickly become my favorite version.

Now another new favorite of mine is the Scangrip Magnet Bracket

But more on that later...

2. Thanks budgetplan1 thanked this post
    Likes budgetplan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice review. Scangrip lights are great to have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Nice review. Scangrip lights are great to have.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    The things I like...
    The Yellow side of the light spectrum is MUCH better on the V3, and I can see swirls much easier.

Bottom Line: This is THE tool for finding imperfections in the paint. The V3 has quickly become my favorite version.
    Yes, proper lighting is very important and the ScanGrip Multimatch 3 is a winner.

The Yellow side went from 4500k on the V2 down to 2500k on the Multimatch 3.

This is a HUGE color improvement for finding swirlage...
    Last edited by Merlin; 12-10-2019 at 01:31 PM.