Thread: Forgot to remove wax before CQuartz UK

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to remove wax before CQuartz UK

I just finished the 1st coat of CQUK on my SUV and realized I forgot to remove old wax. I did a clay bar but forgot the polishing stage to remove old wax. It had been a year since it was last waxed so most of it had worn off.

1. How will this affect the coating? - I'm guessing a shorter lifespan?

The coating looks great. It had an oily residue when removing. Unlike my black car which was easy to see the coating being applied and the flash, my metalic silver SUV was hard to see. There were many places that I left the coating on for 5 minutes or more and it still came off oily with no tack whatsoever. (mid to low 70's in San Diego)

2. Is it a waste of time to put the second coat or should I continue?
    I dont have the energy to start over at the polishing stage so I'll either apply the second coat or leave the one coat on until it appears to wear off - then do it right.

Expert thoughts?
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I know you asked a while ago and I’m surprised this didn’t get answered.
    No wax lasts a year so you’re fine, there was nothing left behind.
    Polishing would still have been nice to increase gloss before coating. Did you wipe the surface with Eraser prior to coating? Clay lube can leave some polymers behind that can impact a bit the adhesion of the coating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cybergrafx View Post

I just finished the 1st coat of CQUK on my SUV and realized I forgot to remove old wax.
    I did a clay bar but forgot the polishing stage to remove old wax. It had been a year since it was last waxed so most of it had worn off.

1. How will this affect the coating? - I'm guessing a shorter lifespan?
    As stated by BSoares after a year I doubt there was any wax left on the paint.
    That in combination with the clay bar should have removed any (if any) remaining wax.
    Also, as stated by BSoares, did you use Eraser or IPA to thoroughly clean the paint?

Quote Originally Posted by cybergrafx View Post
    2. Is it a waste of time to put the second coat or should I continue?

Expert thoughts?
    Thanks!
    Personally, I always apply a second coat.

4. Likes N/A liked this post