Thread: Best way to remove/strip Hydro2

Post Thanks / Like

Best way to remove/strip Hydro2

Hi,

I am about to embark on a two step paint correction detail on my car and need some advice.

A couple of months ago, I applied Hydro2 and topped it with Elixir. For maintenance, I wash the car with Reset and after drying I usually apply Elixir.

Question>> I want to remove and strip Hydro2/Elixir from the paint in preparation for paint correction. What is the method to remove it? I am assuming applying Eraser alone will not be enough.

Thanks in advance for your help.

R.

Certified CarPro Product "Guru" & Senior Member fdresq4's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    R,

Do you plan on doing a chemical deconning with IronX and/or a Mechanical deconning with a clay bar or clay alternative mitt?

More than likely the “Two-Step correction” will remove those products along with Eraser afterwards.

What are you planning on using for your Two Step correcting liquids?

If you could elaborate about your process, if you plan on a pre rinse/wash....

Thanks!
    Steve

It's a Ruff life!

https://m.petfinder.com/ <<<<<<<<<<Save a homeless friend

3. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Certified Nuba Installer Dr Oldz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The abrasives in your correction fluids will remove any wax/sealant/coatings on the surface.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rgupta250 View Post
    Question>> I want to remove and strip Hydro2/Elixir from the paint in preparation for paint correction. What is the method to remove it? I am assuming applying Eraser alone will not be enough.
    In CarPro's official "coating specification sheet" they state that both Elixir and HydrO2 are removable with a "high PH clean" (it also states that their PH resistance is only from 6 to 7, so neither are particularly robust).

If you have to hand a high PH wheel cleaner or APC, usually one of the dilutable ones, this will strip it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fdresq4 View Post
    R,

Do you plan on doing a chemical deconning with IronX and/or a Mechanical deconning with a clay bar or clay alternative mitt?

More than likely the “Two-Step correction” will remove those products along with Eraser afterwards.

What are you planning on using for your Two Step correcting liquids?

If you could elaborate about your process, if you plan on a pre rinse/wash....

Thanks!
    Hi Steve,

Yes, I plan to perform a two step decon (chemical and mechanical) on the car before compounding and polishing the paint.

I am planning to use Sonax or Jescar for a correcting compound and either Kamikaze or Menzerna for the polish/finishing stage.

7. Likes fdresq4 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy40 View Post
    In CarPro's official "coating specification sheet" they state that both Elixir and HydrO2 are removable with a "high PH clean" (it also states that their PH resistance is only from 6 to 7, so neither are particularly robust).

If you have to hand a high PH wheel cleaner or APC, usually one of the dilutable ones, this will strip it.
    Thanks Fatboy40, good call on the APC. I have Multi-X and will use a high concentration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rgupta250 View Post
    Hi Steve,

Yes, I plan to perform a two step decon (chemical and mechanical) on the car before compounding and polishing the paint.

I am planning to use Sonax or Jescar for a correcting compound and either Kamikaze or Menzerna for the polish/finishing stage.
    I would not overthink it and try to chemically strip everything off. I agree with what was mentioned that you will be polishing and that will remove already on the paint.

Certified CarPro Product "Guru" & Senior Member fdresq4's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your process will be more than enough to remove what you have.

Cool. What do you plan on using for your LSP...Last Step Protectant? I’ve used Sonax’s CutMax and Perfect Finish Polish...Great products!

I asked you about the chemical and mechanical portion since it can, as needed, really make the results even better. Since it appeared to be one of your initial posts, just trying to ascertain your process.
    I has asked you some other questions because...
    1. You’re new to the forum and would and encourage further discussion..
    2. Wanted you to share your process
    3. Hopefully will get you to post more! like the final results of your efforts.

Enjoy!
    Steve

It's a Ruff life!

https://m.petfinder.com/ <<<<<<<<<<Save a homeless friend

Post Thanks / Like
    Hydro2 comes right off with a high PH (14) APC. I managed strip off reload and hydro2 with Bilt Hamber Surfex HD. It and high alkaline auto-foam have also substantially worn down my cquarz UK base, so be careful with high alkaline products.