Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to clean coated wheels with (regular maintenance)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wristymanchego View Post
    One thing to note is high or low ph doesn’t equal heavier cleaning, nor does ph neutral mean safe.

Concentration and composition is what matters.
    You're right of course, it's not all down to PH, but if it is off the scale alkaline or acidic its definitely not coating friendly.

Post Thanks / Like

What to clean coated wheels with (regular maintenance)?

Quote Originally Posted by DannyRS3 View Post
    You're right of course, it's not all down to PH, but if it is off the scale alkaline or acidic its definitely not coating friendly.
    Not entirely true, causticity is the biggest cause. A chemical can have a high or low pH with low relative causticity.

Whilst I can’t find any hard data to support this; DLUX should be good for pH 3-14 like most high quality ceramics.

If you dilute BH Surfex as directed at 4% (effective down to 1%), you’ll have a resultant alkaline of 12. Auto Foam @ 4% = pH 11.6. Brake Buster @ 30% = pH 10.5. These numbers are based on a diluent of pH 7. Each of these products are non-caustic.

I’ve cleaned many wheels coated with DLUX, some get soap and water, others get any of the above mentioned cleaners, all have cleaned perfectly and held up wonderfully for at least 12 months.

What id consider more is the chemical concentration, frequency of use and the right circumstances to use a heavy cleaner. You should have no problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not entirely true, causticity is the biggest cause. A chemical can have a high or low pH with low relative causticity.

Whilst I can’t find any hard data to support this; DLUX should be good for pH 3-14 like most high quality ceramics.

If you dilute BH Surfex as directed at 4% (effective down to 1%), you’ll have a resultant alkaline of 12. Auto Foam @ 4% = pH 11.6. Brake Buster @ 30% = pH 10.5. These numbers are based on a diluent of pH 7. Each of these products are non-caustic.

I’ve cleaned many wheels coated with DLUX, some get soap and water, others get any of the above mentioned cleaners, all have cleaned perfectly and held up wonderfully for at least 12 months.

What id consider more is the chemical concentration, frequency of use and the right circumstances to use a heavy cleaner. You should have no problems.
    Thanks for your input.

All I know for sure is this: I'd been using Surfex at 10:1 on wheels and tyres, and auto-foam pre-wash at 4% PIR both around PH 12 (as you said) at least once a week. Bucket wash was Reset and occasionally BH auto-wash The car and wheels was coated in CQuartz UK (and reload) in October 2019 and regularly topped with hydro2 though winter and reloaded again in February, and by May 2020 there was no coating left on my hood, roof, and upper doors. Wheels failed sometime prior. Bilt Hamber advertises these products as non-caustic, but are high alkaline. No fault of CarPro or Bilt Hamber whatsoever. Both are phenomenally great product lines, but at these concentrations the CQuartz UK couldn't hold up.

I'll also say that in testing, I found that you can strip reload off with a single pass of surfex at 10:1 dilution.

Avi@CarPro was kind enough to correspond with me and his recommendation was not to use cleaners over PH 10 on a regular basis.

DLUX may be more resistant or just thicker so longer lasting, so I've chosen to go that way for the wheels this time after re-coating the whole car again.

At lower concentrations maybe my coating would have held up fine, but given the days of work that go into polishing, pulling wheels and coating I'm not going to find out

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your input.

All I know for sure is this: I'd been using Surfex at 10:1 on wheels and tyres, and auto-foam pre-wash at 4% PIR both around PH 12 (as you said) at least once a week. Bucket wash was Reset and occasionally BH auto-wash The car and wheels was coated in CQuartz UK (and reload) in October 2019 and regularly topped with hydro2 though winter and reloaded again in February, and by May 2020 there was no coating left on my hood, roof, and upper doors. Wheels failed sometime prior. Bilt Hamber advertises these products as non-caustic, but are high alkaline. No fault of CarPro or Bilt Hamber whatsoever. Both are phenomenally great product lines, but at these concentrations the CQuartz UK couldn't hold up.

I'll also say that you can strip reload off with a single pass of surfex at 10:1 dilution.

Avi@CarPro was kind enough to correspond with me and his recommendation was not to use cleaners over PH 10 on a regular basis.

DLUX may be more resistant or just thicker so longer lasting, so I've chosen to go that way for the wheels this time after re-coating the whole car again.

At lower concentrations maybe it would have held up fine, but given the days of work that go into polishing, pulling wheels and coating I'm not going to find out

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12