Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to clean coated wheels with (regular maintenance)?

Post Thanks / Like

What to clean coated wheels with (regular maintenance)?

I've been cleaning my cquartz coated wheels (and tyres) with high alkaline (Bilt Hamber Surfex HD) at 10:1 dilution which is still around PH 14, and it has completely killed the coating. Clearly I'm using way to aggressive a cleaner. I'm wondering what I should be using? Should I just stick to reset, and occasionally ironx for decontamination? Is it worth spending more on snow soap? Should I use something else?

I'm about to re-coat with DLUX and would like to alter my wash routine so I don't have to do this again for a while!

2. Likes fdresq4 liked this post
    Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would just keep using Reset, unless they’re just filthy and need something stronger.

4. Likes fdresq4, DannyRS3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coatings are pretty darn good at two things; chemical resistance and reducing maintenance effort. In this scenario you’re effectively stress testing one and not utilising the other.

You’re on the money, Surfex at 10% will degrade a coating with regular, repeated use. It is highly alkaline (unsure pH14 is correct) and loves to clean but with a coating, you don’t need anything with such strength.

For coated wheels I simply use the cheapest, non-wax wash I can find in a wheel bucket and save the chemicals for the tyres and guards.

This should keep them in top condition if you wash frequently. On occasion or when you’ve left the vehicle for some months, a wheel cleaner or some APC will help to dislodge anything not wanting to come off, 5% Surfex should still suffice.

6. Likes DannyRS3 liked this post
    Certified CarPro Product "Guru" & Senior Member fdresq4's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I would just keep using Reset, unless they’re just filthy and need something stronger.
    Hey Stranger!!
    Steve

It's a Ruff life!

https://m.petfinder.com/ <<<<<<<<<<Save a homeless friend

8. Likes Cooter liked this post
    Certified CarPro Product "Guru" & Senior Member fdresq4's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyRS3 View Post
    I've been cleaning my cquartz coated wheels (and tyres) with high alkaline (Bilt Hamber Surfex HD) at 10:1 dilution which is still around PH 14, and it has completely killed the coating. Clearly I'm using way to aggressive a cleaner. I'm wondering what I should be using? Should I just stick to reset, and occasionally ironx for decontamination? Is it worth spending more on snow soap? Should I use something else?

I'm about to re-coat with DLUX and would like to alter my wash routine so I don't have to do this again for a while!
    I just use the soap used for washing. Reset or a Ph neutral product. If the wheels are super dirty, say after a muti State road trip, I will use TUGA or similar product to give it a kick.

https://www.carpro-us.com/wheels-tri...eaner-1l-34oz/
    Steve

It's a Ruff life!

https://m.petfinder.com/ <<<<<<<<<<Save a homeless friend

Post Thanks / Like
    You should not need to use something so aggressive. A regular car shampoo will work just fine with the occasional decon.

11. Likes DannyRS3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. Ive been using such harsh cleaners that my hubs have rusted after just 8 months ownership for a brand new car. My rotors are forever orange as well. Lesson learned, and will go to reset as a much safer alternative now that I've cleaned it all up and re-coated with DLUX.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. Ive been using such harsh cleaners that my hubs have rusted after just 8 months ownership for a brand new car. My rotors are forever orange as well. Lesson learned, and will go to reset as a much safer alternative now that I've cleaned it all up and re-coated with DLUX.
    If you really need a wheel cleaner, sonax Xtreme wheel cleaner, p&s brake buster, Adams wheel cleaner and built Hamber products all have rust inhibitors which means reduced or no rusty rotors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wristymanchego View Post
    If you really need a wheel cleaner, sonax Xtreme wheel cleaner, p&s brake buster, Adams wheel cleaner and built Hamber products all have rust inhibitors which means reduced or no rusty rotors.
    Thanks for the recommendations. I've bought PH test strips and have found the most wheel cleaners are extremely alkaline and this probably not OK for coating longevity and best avoided. I think the idea with coatings is less harsh cleaners are needed, and I've made a mistake treating my wheels like uncoated ones.

Bilt Hamber has amazing cleaning power, and is said to contain anti corrosives, but let me tell you, they have caused a tonne of rust on my rotors and hubs one a brand new car. I'll been keeping well away from them and other hard alkaline cleaners and heavy duty fallout removers from now on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the recommendations. I've bought PH test strips and have found the most wheel cleaners are extremely alkaline and this probably not OK for coating longevity and best avoided. I think the idea with coatings is less harsh cleaners are needed, and I've made a mistake treating my wheels like uncoated ones.

Bilt Hamber has amazing cleaning power, and is said to contain anti corrosives, but let me tell you, they have caused a tonne of rust on my rotors and hubs one a brand new car. I'll been keeping well away from them and other hard alkaline cleaners and heavy duty fallout removers from now on.
    One thing to note is high or low ph doesn’t equal heavier cleaning, nor does ph neutral mean safe.

Concentration and composition is what matters.

16. Likes DannyRS3 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast