Thread: Reapplying CQuartz and Gliss - two years after original coating. What to be aware of

Post Thanks / Like

Reapplying CQuartz and Gliss - two years after original coating. What to be aware of

Hello,

So when I purchased my car (BMW X3) in September 2018, I immediately applied a CQuartz UK ceramic coating and have been very happy with the results & longevity, no doubt helped by applying Reload every 2-3 months.

Some hazing & swirl marks are appearing in the paintwork so with Spring around the corner, I plan on a full decontamination, machine polish and then a new coat of CQuartz UK, followed by a coat of Gliss.

Given that the CQuartz coating was applied over 2 years ago I'm assuming most of it has gone and that the beading that still does occur is due to Reload.

As I want to machine polish the paintwork - what's the best way to prepare the surface and is there any risk of causing damage to the paintwork if there is some remnants of CQuartz when I start polishing?

Here is my plan of action.
    1. Use Iron-X snow foam to decontaminate.
    2. Rinse well
    3. Use Tar-x
    4. Rinse well
    5. Wash with Reset
    6. Claybar the entire car
    7. Wash with Reset & dry
    8. Machine (DA) polish using Clearcut with a medium to soft polishing pad (Hexlogic green).
    9. Wipe with Eraser to remove any residue from using Clearcut
    10. Machine (DA) polish using Essence with a soft finishing pad (Hexlogic red or black)
    11. Apply CQuartz UK 3.0
    12. When fully cured - apply Gliss
    13. When fully cured - apply Reload

If there's any key steps (e.g. is it worth applying a 2nd coat of CQuartz if I'm topping with Gliss) I've missed or the order of the above is wrong, I'd appreciate the feedback.

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    My thoughts...

CQ UK or CQuartz Sic and will last if maintained properly.
    After decon I would keep my "correction" to a minimum.

I might suggest
    Rupes DA Yellow Fine Finishing Foam Pad with Rupes DA Fine High-Performance Polishing Compound
    followed with
    Rupes DA White Ultra Fine Finishing Foam Pad with Rupes UNO Pure Universal Ultrafine Finishing Polish