Thread: Topping CQuartz 3.0 with CQuartz Lite

Post Thanks / Like

Topping CQuartz 3.0 with CQuartz Lite

Hey Guys, i have had UK 3.0 on my vehicle for 18 mos. At the 2 yr. mark, my intentions are to reapply UK 3.0 once again and have a question regarding Cquartz Lite..........I have a nearly full bottle of CQ Lite that i purchased in May to use on wheels. I have since sold the wheels and do not want the Lite to go to waste. Since i plan on recoating in about 6 bmos. with UK 3.0 again, i would like to use the Lite on top of the current 3.0 until such time.

The current coating is still holding up relatively well but there are a few spots on the hood, trunk & driver's door that i would need to polish out a few scratches that have appeared.

I have just completed chemical decon along with a light clay with a fine clay mitt that left no marring that i can see. The 3.0 remains slick and smooth.

1...Should i re-polish the entire car or just the panels affected prior to topping with the Cquartz Lite?

2...Will the Lite bond ok without polishing all panels?

3...If i were to not polish the entire car again, will the polished panels blend ok with the unpolished panels?

Thanks
    Cheers,
    Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Whatever areas you polish will remove the UK that is already on them. So you can use Lite on them without issue but just know it will be only Lite on those areas.

It may bond and it may not. There is the possibility of some contaminants on the current coating even after a chemical decon.

More than likely not. A polished panel will be glossier than a panel that has not been polished in 2 years.

If you do not already have UK then just use Lite and give it a try on the entire paint.

3. Thanks dman68 thanked this post
    Likes dman68 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Whatever areas you polish will remove the UK that is already on them. So you can use Lite on them without issue but just know it will be only Lite on those areas.

It may bond and it may not. There is the possibility of some contaminants on the current coating even after a chemical decon.

More than likely not. A polished panel will be glossier than a panel that has not been polished in 2 years.

If you do not already have UK then just use Lite and give it a try on the entire paint.

Thanks Guz. I've decided to go ahead and polish all panels before applying the Lite. After seeing several of your reviews here and on other sites, i am confident that the Lite will give me good results until such time that i reapply UK 3.0.
    Cheers,
    Don

5. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post

Hey Guz, I have an unexpected issue.....
    I was sitting on my detailing stool opening my CQ Lite getting ready to start applying, when my dog jumps up on me and knocks the bottle out of my hand and it hits the floor and rolls. Before I could get up and grab it, it had spilled out on the floor. The bottle emptied. Unfortunately the plastic applicator cap was off since i was using a dropper in the bottle.

Now I'm ordering a new bottle of UK 3.0. They car is home this week but will have to be used on Thursday and I won't have enough access to it again until Saturday. Since I have already polished with Essense, what steps do I need to take when i get ready to apply again. No freaking dog around this time.
    Last edited by dman68; 10-21-2020 at 12:07 AM.
    Cheers,
    Don

Post Thanks / Like
    I would imagine a wash with something like reset and an eraser wipe down.

8. Thanks dman68 thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guz, i just finished today, 2 coats of 3.0 and as always it is a top notch product. This is my second time using it. Question about Reload or whatever..............

The car will stay in the garage until Thursday, at which time it has to go out for the remainder of the week and naturally the weather forecast is rain. I had hoped to not have to use Reload right away but i guess i need some kind of protection on it due to rain. Unfortunately i won't be available to do any further work on it until Wednesday and am wondering if it's ok to apply Reload or something on it on Wednesday being that there should be no chemicals or water on the vehicle for at least 7 days?.
    Cheers,
    Don

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in a very wet part of the UK, and I am firmly against topping cquartz with an inferior product like reload. I've coated 6 cars now, and after 48 hours curing there is nothing to worry about from rain. Just go drive it and enjoy watching it bead like mad. I've never had an issue with water spotting after 48 hours and after 7 days you can wash the dirt off it anyway. I really wouldn't bother with reload if I were you, but if you feel you must, just make sure the car is completely clean before running a cloth all over it. If its dusty or dirty you best wait till you can wash the car.

11. Thanks dman68 thanked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyRS3 View Post
    I live in a very wet part of the UK, and I am firmly against topping cquartz with an inferior product like reload. I've coated 6 cars now, and after 48 hours curing there is nothing to worry about from rain. Just go drive it and enjoy watching it bead like mad. I've never had an issue with water spotting after 48 hours and after 7 days you can wash the dirt off it anyway. I really wouldn't bother with reload if I were you, but if you feel you must, just make sure the car is completely clean before running a cloth all over it. If its dusty or dirty you best wait till you can wash the car.
    Thank you sir. I'm not too keen on Reload either, hence why i was wondering if it was a must-do step in the process.
    Cheers,
    Don