Thread: Initial thoughts on SiC

Post Thanks / Like

Initial thoughts on SiC

I received my first order of SiC in the mail Saturday. I have not had a chance to apply it yet but here are my initial thoughts.

I opened the bottle and it had a very similar smell to TiO2. I then took an applicator cloth like I do for all of my coatings and soaked in the SiO2. After a full day of cure, I see no discernible difference in hardness between the cloth soaked with TiO2 and the SiC. Both seem to be almost identical. I plan to apply it to a panel at some point to test the slickness but TiO2 is already very slick once cured.

90% of my products are CarPro and I am an avid supporter, they work! But, I am having a hard time initially seeing what has changed in this SiC compound making it any better or worse.

My guess is that this will, at some point replace TiO2 as they seem to be VERY similar but neither come close to matching the hardness of the UK3.0 soaked applicator test. It is VERY obvious which one wins that contest.

Post Thanks / Like
    In case you have not seen this yet

Here is another

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing new here. Reiterating the details we already know in video form. Looks to me as a worthy replacement for TiO2 at best. I will certainly use it as a substitute but to be honest, I never had water spotting or other issues with the TiO2. It has its place but I was hoping for a little more from SiC.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    In case you have not seen this yet

Here is another