Thread: So what do you do three years after applying CQuartz UK?

Post Thanks / Like

So what do you do three years after applying CQuartz UK?

My wife and I want to detail our cars this summer again and plan on trying out ceramic coatings for the first time. I already bought UK and Gliss and have been waiting to use them.

But our hesitation is this: how do you reapply in two-three years? Do you polish again? If so, I am definitely concerned about polishing every three years on asian factory clear coat (honda and kia). After two to three years most of the coating will have worn off, so we will be removing even more clear each time. We plan on keeping our cars 10+ years. If it was a 4 or 5 year coating I would have no problem with it, but being a two year coating, I don't know if machine polishing every 2 years is a good idea for today's ultra-thin factory asian clears. Is it an option just to wash, decontaminate, clay, and apply again? If there is residual ceramic coating, won't the new layer just adhere on top?

Trying to figure out the process down the road before I go through putting it on our cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by planestrainsandcars View Post
    My wife and I want to detail our cars this summer again and plan on trying out ceramic coatings for the first time. I already bought UK and Gliss and have been waiting to use them.
    Congrats. You chose a great combo of coatings.

But our hesitation is this: how do you reapply in two-three years? Do you polish again? If so, I am definitely concerned about polishing every three years on asian factory clear coat (honda and kia). After two to three years most of the coating will have worn off, so we will be removing even more clear each time. We plan on keeping our cars 10+ years. If it was a 4 or 5 year coating I would have no problem with it, but being a two year coating, I don't know if machine polishing every 2 years is a good idea for today's ultra-thin factory asian clears.
    To reapply it is best to polish and re-coat. It will allow the new layers to perform at it's maximum claimed performance. A coating is fairly easy to remove with polishing. Especially an aged coating. In the grand scheme polishing removes very little clear. If you maintain the paint properly from being swirled up then that will be even better. Go over the paint with something like Reflect or Essence or an equivalent polish and you will be just fine.

CarPro is also conservative in their claims when it comes to durability of their coatings. The coating does not just fall flat on its face at 2 years. Too many factors play in the durability. You will more than likely achieve greater than 2 years with good maintenance.

Is it an option just to wash, decontaminate, clay, and apply again? If there is residual ceramic coating, won't the new layer just adhere on top?

Trying to figure out the process down the road before I go through putting it on our cars.
    You can certainly do this but keep in mind that claying can induce its own defects known as marring and is the way to remove that.

Ideally coatings perform at the max on a "residue" free surface. Use Essence the next time. It has very little cut but with a polishing pad it will remove most if not all of the aged coating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Guz
    To reapply it is best to polish and re-coat.
    I'd go very soft with a CarPro Gloss Pad and CarPro Essence: EXTREME Gloss Primer. You may or may not need to use Eraser afterward (Your choice).
    Both of these products are very soft and should have the ability to remove any existing coating without removing a micron of the clear coat (if used gently).

CarPro Essence Definitive Guide Thread - CarPro Forum