Thread: Why ?

Post Thanks / Like

Why ?

Im about to try and coat my car for the very first time. Every where I read, the second layer of CQ UK 3.0 has to be within 60 minutes or the next day. But I can not find anything about why ?

What happends if I finish my first layer in maybe 2 or 3 hours, and then begin the next layer ?

I know there has been many threads about layering. But I still cant find the answer to this question. And I really would like to finish the coating in one day, without stress....

Post Thanks / Like

It is my understanding that the time frames are based on curing times.

If you apply the 2nd “layer” in the 60 minute timeframe it can interact and “mix / bond” with the first layer. This makes a single continuous coating that is sure to have full coverage.

I believe the thought is that if you miss that window you are better waiting for the 1st layer to cure more then apply the 2nd layer basically on top of the first. It is basically the same but the interaction and bonding of the 2 applications is not quite the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okey. Thank you for your reply.
    Do you know if i will pull off the first layer ? Or will it look streaky and bad ?

Post Thanks / Like

Your not going to “pull off” the first layer per say but the solvent could affect it some. The main chance would be streaks and high spots that are harder to remove.

If you want to do 2 layers and are concerned about the 1hr window and don’t want to wait till the next day; why don’t you simply start at one corner and get going. Then at about the 45 minute mark find a good stopping point (like a panel edge etc) and the go back to the beginning and do your 2nd layer. This will get you in the window and get everything done at one time.

Personally I can do most small-medium vehicles in under and hour. So when I get done with the first layer I can either start over on layer 2 if I have enough coating left or use what is left of on high impact/wear areas.

Being a first time that might be something to think about is if you have enough product. The 30ml is usually 1 good coat for me with just some 2nd coat usually goes on easier and thinner for me. I usually go with the 50ml then for 2 layers.

Post Thanks / Like
    That was a good idea. Maybe I will try that. But im still a bit curius to know what will happend if I make a mistake and miss the time window. And what will give the best result ? Wait 24 hours or "blend" it in the "soft" first layer ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't over think it. Follow the directions and you will be fine.

7. Likes budgetplan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with The Guz.

The directions and recommendations that CarPro have are there to give you the best experience and results. If you follow them you should have the best chance at having the optimal outcome.

If you choose not to follow them; it is our prerogative but you then are outside of their recommendations and there could be challenges or issue that arise.

I have done many coating from CarPro and other vendors and almost all have been extremely easy and silicifying. It is good to ask questions and have a plan but I have found at a certain point you just need to get into and start or you get analysis paralysis.

9. Likes budgetplan1, The Guz liked this post