Thread: PorterCable 7424 time to replace backplate - what size? Manufacturer?

Post Thanks / Like

PorterCable 7424 time to replace backplate - what size? Manufacturer?

Hi All,

Although my PC 7424 with 6" backplate is about 8 years old, it wasn't used much, but I find the backplate hook/loop surface delaminating.

I always felt the 6" was a bit large, so maybe 5" would be better?

And, since the one I had was aftermarket (not PC), what manufacturer?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    A 5 inch backing plate will do much better on this PC. The Lake Country or Meguiar's backing plate would work just fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a big fan of the Meguiars Soft Buff DBP5 DA Polisher 5 inch Backing Plate on a PC.
    There is a huge assortment of 5" pads from coarse to ultra-fine. You'll love the 5" control.
    I don't believe I own any 6" pads or have purchased a 6" pad in many many years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, All ... have the DBP5 on order.

How about a recommendation for pads? I will only be applying light polish, wax and then buffing ... what do I really need for each? Recommendations appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ForumUser1 View Post
    Thanks, All ... have the DBP5 on order.

How about a recommendation for pads?
    I will only be applying light polish, wax and then buffing ... what do I really need for each?
    Recommendations appreciated!
    I really like the Sky's The Limit 5" pads!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello! The delamination of the hook/loop surface on your PC 7424 backplate is likely due to normal wear and tear over time. Replacing the backplate with a smaller 5" option could potentially reduce the stress on the hook/loop surface and improve its durability.

As for aftermarket backplates, there are several manufacturers that make compatible replacements for the PC 7424, including Rupes, Lake Country, and Flex. These manufacturers offer a range of sizes and materials to choose from, so you should be able to find a 5" backplate that meets your needs. You may want to consider researching and comparing the different options available to you to determine which is the best fit for you.