Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Hello from NY

  1. #1
    Junior Member BringADetailer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Hello from NY

    Greetings - 35 year detailer. Have worked on some of the worlds finest automobiles. Have extensive body shop experience as well, sprayed thousands of panels using Sikkens, Glasurit and PPG.

    Detailing is a obsession/hobby and therapeutic time killer for me. Recently turned on to CarPro products and did complete decontamination, correction, and ceramic coating on a few cars, using mostly CarPro products. (Exceptions were M105, I like it too much, and P&S wheel cleaner, I have a gallon to finish)

    Just looking to learn what people are using and how.

  2. #2
    I love shiny things Merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,853
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BringADetailer View Post
    Greetings - 35 year detailer. Have worked on some of the worlds finest automobiles. Have extensive body shop experience as well, sprayed thousands of panels using Sikkens, Glasurit and PPG.

    Detailing is a obsession/hobby and therapeutic time killer for me. Recently turned on to CarPro products and did complete decontamination, correction, and ceramic coating on a few cars, using mostly CarPro products. (Exceptions were M105, I like it too much, and P&S wheel cleaner, I have a gallon to finish)

    Just looking to learn what people are using and how.
    Welcome to the Sky's The Limit forum!



    Lots of GREAT folks here.
    It's a very nice community.

    Lots of great info here.
    Search is your friend.

    https://skycarcare.com/ carries some awesome product lines!
    ________________


    My thoughts...

    COMPOUNDS

    M105
    I have not used it in quite a while. For me, it is too finicky and dusty.
    With a rotary and wool, it kicks butt, but it leaves a hazy finish.
    Least friendly.

    M101
    The R&D for M101 was originally done exclusively for the European market.
    In the U.S. body shops use M105 with rotary.
    In the European market, they use a DA with foam.
    M101 works great with a DA and foam. Less cut than M105.
    It's less finicky, less dusty, and leaves a much nicer finish.

    M110
    This is Meg's latest (a little while back) entry into the compound arena.
    M110 is very DA friendly. Slightly less cut than M101. Little to no dust.
    It leaves a better finish (IMHO) than M101 and it's easier to wipe off.
    Most friendly.

    M101 and M110 are great go-to products for paint correction.

    I'm a big fan of Meguiars M210 Ultra Pro Finishing Polish.

    _________

    Now on to some other products...

    Scholl Concepts Shock 2 (compound)
    Scholl Concepts S30+ Nano Compound (polishing)


    Rupes DA Coarse High Performance Cutting Compound (Blue compound)
    Rupes DA Fine High Performance Polishing Compound (Yellow mid compound)
    Rupes UNO PURE Universal Ultrafine Finishing Polish (White polishing)

    Both are REALLY good!

    _________

    PADS

    I have become a huge fan of Sky's the Limit Spider Pads
    CARPRO Microfiber Heavy Cutting Pad and CARPRO Gloss Pad for polishing.
    I also like Lake Country HDO Orbital Pads

    Just looking to learn what people are using and how.
    You asked...These are some of the products I use...

  3. #3
    Junior Member BringADetailer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like
    Id like to try the updated M polishes. I've had a lot of success and dust with M105 and both a rotary (fast) and Rupes. I got hooked back in the introduction of M105 / M205 and the microfiber pad era... I just ordered a few CarPro and 3D to try. I have low expectations of 3D One, Im not a one-step guy. Carpro Clear Cut and Essence just arrived today.

  4. #4
    I love shiny things Merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,853
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BringADetailer View Post
    Id like to try the updated M polishes. I've had a lot of success and dust with M105 and both a rotary (fast) and Rupes.
    I got hooked back in the introduction of M105 / M205 and the microfiber pad era...
    I cut my teeth on the M105/M205 combo.
    Pads, compounds, and polishes have come a long way since then.

    Quote Originally Posted by BringADetailer View Post
    I just ordered a few CarPro and 3D to try.
    I have low expectations of 3D One, I'm not a one-step guy.
    Carpro Clear Cut and Essence just arrived today.
    Let us know how these products perform.

    I like Essence and Reflect.

    The two Scholl products and three Rupes products are awesome!

    What do you use for pads?

  5. #5
    Junior Member BringADetailer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like
    Uro black/white, various Lake Country foams, and Megs Microfiber cut/polish

  6. #6
    I love shiny things Merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,853
    Post Thanks / Like
    Which Rupes machine(s) do you have?

  7. #7
    Junior Member BringADetailer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bigfoot 15 and iBrid nano. Have an old Flex and Porter Cable laying around as well. Want to play around with new pads, thanks for the recommendations.

  8. #8
    I love shiny things Merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,853
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BringADetailer View Post
    Bigfoot 15 and iBrid nano.
    Have an old Flex and Porter Cable laying around as well.
    Flex rotary or 3401?
    In the 'old days...there was a rotary to cut and a DA to finish.
    Now it's Rupes, 21 and 15. A 3" DA for small spaces and iBrid for real small spaces.

    Quote Originally Posted by BringADetailer View Post
    Want to play around with new pads, thanks for the recommendations.
    Try..

    Heavy Cutting
    CARPRO Microfiber Heavy Cutting Pad 5"

    Cutting
    Lake Country HDO Blue Cutting Pad - 5 1/2"
    Use with M101 or M110

    Polishing
    Lake Country HDO Orange Polishing Pad - 5 1/2"

    Finishing
    Lake Country HDO Black Finishing Pad - 5 1/2"
    or
    CARPRO Gloss Pad 5" (I like this one)
    Use with Carpro Reflect/Essence, Meg's M210, Scholl's S30+, Rupes UNO PURE

  9. #9
    Junior Member BringADetailer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like
    Red Flex 3401...a now classic.

    Thanks for the links to the pads. I am going to be doing a Ferrari FF in a few days. The owners goal was to have this be his first Ferrari to make it to 100k miles. It's metallic black and used to sit outside at the train station back in the day when we used to work in an office! I'm going to decon, correct and Carpro UK 3.0. I do plan on making a YouTube video as I need the challenge, entertainment and engagement.

  10. #10
    I love shiny things Merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,853
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BringADetailer View Post
    Red Flex 3401...a now classic.

    Thanks for the links to the pads. I am going to be doing a Ferrari FF in a few days.
    I'm going to decon, correct and Carpro UK 3.0.
    I do plan on making a YouTube video as I need the challenge, entertainment and engagement.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the video!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •