Thread: First Paint Correction

Post Thanks / Like

First Paint Correction

Issue: Ready to step into performing my first paint correction and applying Ceramic coating on my black 2021 Volvo XC40.

Question: What are my choices for a dual action polisher?

The two I’m familiar with: Maxshine M8S 8mm/900W and Chemical Guys Random Orbital. I can’t “break the bank” here which translates to a polisher around $130-$175.

Question:Microfiber or foam pads/discs? How many of each for compound and polishing?

Question: Which ceramic coating to consider? What are the significant differences between these products?

Question: How to care for ceramic coating summer through harsh winters?

I jumped into car detailing my Volvo this year and have the basics down up to paint correction.Let me know if I’ve overlooked something in the paint correction process. Oh, I do need to perform the plastic baggy test on the surface on the Volvo to determine if I need the compound phase.

~ Thanks ~

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum.

Can't hep you with the polishers you mentioned. Never used them and am unfamiliar with them. I own a Rupes LHR15.

At least 6 pads for compounding and 6 for polishing.

Hard to answer for the coating. You have 3 options. Cquartz Lite for those getting into coatings for an easy application with no worry about flash times. Will get you roughly 1-1.5 years if properly maintained. UK is the most durable. SiC is the newest coating. It may not be as durable as UK but it slicker and will do better with anti-water spotting.

Keeping it clean as coatings do get clogged. You are more than likely going to be doing a decontamination wash coming out of winter.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RickD;24529]Issue: Ready to step into performing my first paint correction and applying Ceramic coating on my black 2021 Volvo XC40.

Question: What are my choices for a dual action polisher?

The two I’m familiar with: Maxshine M8S 8mm/900W and Chemical Guys Random Orbital. I can’t “break the bank” here which translates to a polisher around $130-$175.
    Get a Griot G9 with a lifetime waranty.
    Question:Microfiber or foam pads/discs? How many of each for compound and polishing?
    Minimum of 4 each
    Question: Which ceramic coating to consider? What are the significant differences between these products?
    CQuartz UK3.0
    Question: How to care for ceramic coating summer through harsh winters?
    Reload or Elixir as a QD.
    I jumped into car detailing my Volvo this year and have the basics down up to paint correction.Let me know if I’ve overlooked something in the paint correction process. Oh, I do need to perform the plastic baggy test on the surface on the Volvo to determine if I need the compound phase.
    A baggy test does not mean you need to compound. Always do a test spot and go with the least aggressive pad and polish.