Thread: Drying agents

Post Thanks / Like

Drying agents

I am getting back into doing my own Car detailing. Been watching many different videos in regrades to your water, and water spots. I keep hearing to add a drying agent to city water to break the surface tension of the water. Ok, how is the easiest way to do that for a DIY use? Is there anything in the agent I need to look for?

Also on a side note, I just seen a video that said to use a spray wax as a drying agent. Does this work, or are they doing a quick sell?

Thanks for any help.

My Detailing process

-rims and tires
    -wheel wells
    -soap and rinse tires, rims and wells
    -bug removal
    -water rinse car
    -pre soap soak
    -full rinse
    -hand wash top to bottom
    -rinse
    -hand dry
    -wax and seal when needed
    -door jabs clean and power wash and seal
    -interior cleaning - carpets, dash, plastics, seats
    -glass - inside
    -wax/seal as needed
    -windows outside
    -rims and tires
    -chrome
    -all black polished and treated

Post Thanks / Like
    I think they may be telling you to spray something on the car while wet, then dry with a microfiber.

Ive used a lot of different products as “drying agents”. To me they are just an added layer of lubricity and protection that also reduce water spotting. Never a bad move.

3. Thanks Kevin V thanked this post
    Likes Kevin V liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin V View Post
    I am getting back into doing my own Car detailing. Been watching many different videos in regrades to your water, and water spots. I keep hearing to add a drying agent to city water to break the surface tension of the water. Ok, how is the easiest way to do that for a DIY use? Is there anything in the agent I need to look for?

Also on a side note, I just seen a video that said to use a spray wax as a drying agent. Does this work, or are they doing a quick sell?

Thanks for any help.

My Detailing process

-rims and tires
    -wheel wells
    -soap and rinse tires, rims and wells
    -bug removal
    -water rinse car
    -pre soap soak
    -full rinse
    -hand wash top to bottom
    -rinse
    -hand dry
    -wax and seal when needed
    -door jabs clean and power wash and seal
    -interior cleaning - carpets, dash, plastics, seats
    -glass - inside
    -wax/seal as needed
    -windows outside
    -rims and tires
    -chrome
    -all black polished and treated
    Adding a drying agent to your city water can definitely help to break the surface tension of the water and prevent water spots during the drying process. One of the easiest ways to do this for a DIY use is to use a commercial drying aid or a DIY solution of isopropyl alcohol and distilled water. Look for a drying agent that contains ingredients such as surfactants or polymers, which can help to reduce water spots and enhance the shine of your vehicle.

Using a spray wax as a drying agent can also be effective in breaking the surface tension of the water, but it may not provide the same level of protection as a dedicated drying aid. It's possible that the video you saw was promoting a specific product, so it's always a good idea to do your own research and read reviews before trying a new product.

Your detailing process looks very thorough and well-organized! One suggestion I have is to use a separate bucket for washing your wheels and tires to avoid cross-contamination with the rest of the vehicle. You may also want to consider using a clay bar to remove any embedded contaminants in the paint before waxing and sealing. Overall, it looks like you have a solid routine in place for maintaining your vehicle's appearance.