Thread: Help with Odd Odor

Post Thanks / Like

Help with Odd Odor

I could use some help with an usual odor problem. I bought a 2021 Audi A7e from a Mercedes dealer a few states away. When it got here, there was an unusual skunk-like smell that has by now morphed into a sweet and slightly sour odor coming in the front interior, mostly isolated on the passenger side. I brought it to an Audi dealer and everything checks out mechanically. There are no coolant leaks.

Once I figured it wasn't a mechanical issue, I've tried everything to get rid of the odor including GTechniq cleaner for the seats and carpets, professional steam clean for the full interior, and professional Ozone treatment, but it remains. The dealer hypothesized it may be coming from a greasy spray the previous dealer's detailer sprayed in the engine compartment. That sounds plausible, but the grease itself doesn't smell like the interior odor. Others have suggested it could just be how the car, especially the leather seats, smell naturally. But none of the other Audis I've been in smell that way. Also, the front seats smell more musty and earthy than the back which was the original reason I focused my efforts there. Does anyone with more experience know what this could be? I'm at a complete loss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Reading what you wrote I can only guess as to the "cause" of the odor.
    "unusual skunk-like smell..."
    "the front seats smell more musty and earthy than the back"

A few suggestions...
    Did you change your cabin filter?
    If so, did you use charcoal rather than paper?

Have you done a deep dive to see if anything is in/under your front seats?

Have you tried CARPRO SO2Pure 2.0 Odor Eliminator?

Post Thanks / Like