Thread: polish pads and compounds for my old jeep?

Post Thanks / Like

polish pads and compounds for my old jeep?

I've got a great survivor '96 Jeep Cherokee in Flame Red. I had a local professional detailer do some kind of cutting process a few years ago that really brought the bang back out of the color. Since the fender flares were looking worn I just finished repainting them with a rattle can base color and 2k clear coat process, and other than the orange peel they look really good. Actually they're upclassing my paint finish now so I need to get my body shine up to speed. I've got a griot's 6in polisher and other than that I need to be coached through what I need to get to give my paint a good simple polish. But I'm trying to do it cheap so just the minimum is perfectly fine. It's got a fair number of small scratches/blemishes that are just gonna stay, so I'm not looking to make anything close to perfect here.

Basically I need to know, what pads should I get and what product(s) should I use with them? I've seen some kits that might be good enough for an amateur like myself.

Also, if there's anything designed to work in colder weather please let me know. I don't see it getting warm around my area anytime soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone likes different things and every paint is different!

To start...Two Step...Compound/Polishing

I like...

COMPOUND
    Meguiars M110 Ultra Pro Speed Compound
    with
    Lake Country HDO Orange Polishing Pad

POLISHING
    Meguiars M210 Ultra Pro Finishing Polish
    with
    CARPRO Gloss Pad

Now there are 1000's of other product combinations...but (for me) this is a good starting place.

I do not know about colder weather...I live in south Florida.

3. Likes bradleyheathhays liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Right on, thanks for those links. Meguiars has been suggested elsewhere so that's the direction I'll be taking this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Polishing pads and compounds are used to restore and maintain the shine on the paint of your vehicle.

For an older Jeep, you may want to start with a mild polish and a cutting pad to remove any oxidation and light scratches. A good option for this would be a light cutting compound like Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and a foam cutting pad.

Next, you can use a polishing pad and a medium-grade polish to remove any remaining imperfections and restore the shine to the paint. A good option for this step would be a polish like Menzerna Power Finish and a foam polishing pad.

Finally, you can use a finishing pad and a final glaze or sealant to add a protective layer and enhance the shine. An example of this would be the use of a microfiber finishing pad with a final glaze like Meguiar's M205 Ultra Finishing Polish.

It's important to note that, it's always good to test a small area first before applying it to the entire car, to ensure that the products are compatible with your paint and that you are happy with the results.