Thread: Iron X stuck on paint

Post Thanks / Like

Question Iron X stuck on paint

Hi all,
    I was prepping a black Range Rover for paint correction / ceramic and during the decontamination phase, I did my usual iron x and tar x passes after washing. I only let the iron x sit on the paint for about 3 min including light agitation around the vehicle. The car was NOT in direct sunlight - in fact, it was cloudy, and the sun was almost down anyway and the temp was about 65 deg F. After I rinsed it all off and got it into the garage, I noticed some spots left behind the mirror and on the black rims. Is there a chemical way to remove these stains from the plastic / the rims? I tried some very light compound and finishing polish by hand but behind the mirrors is that molded plastic type of surface so I didn't want to make things worse. I have not been able to get this stuff off this plastic nor the rims! Any recommendations would be highly appreciated - I am dying over here and don't know what I'm going to do.
    Thank you in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    I would have thought polishing would do the trick. Google "How to remove dried iron remover". You're not the first to let this happen, maybe someone posted their solution. As far as chemicals? I am going to assume you have already tried all purpose cleaner at a very concentrated level? If need be, try using it straight. If that doesn't work, maybe a body solvent. Tar X may work for that. If not, try the stronger ones at Home Depot, I would test it in a small inconspicuous spot first to make sure it does not discolor the surface. If that doesn't work, I have heard of guys using vinegar for odd issues and it working. What do you have to lose at this point? After that, go back to compounding. I am guessing this is a customer car?

Post Thanks / Like
    I've tried googling that and maybe it's my search techniques but I'm surprisingly not finding much. It is a customer's car - luckily a friend/neighbor so I told them I am still working on a solution and they're being cool about it. It's not as glaringly obvious behind the mirror, but I am going to try some of the Tar X on the wheels during the maintenance wash. Haven't coated the wheels yet because of it, but I will also try the vinegar (and baking soda mixture?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by grnhockey View Post
    I've tried googling that and maybe it's my search techniques but I'm surprisingly not finding much. It is a customer's car - luckily a friend/neighbor so I told them I am still working on a solution and they're being cool about it. It's not as glaringly obvious behind the mirror, but I am going to try some of the Tar X on the wheels during the maintenance wash. Haven't coated the wheels yet because of it, but I will also try the vinegar (and baking soda mixture?)
    I'm out of ideas. I would call Sky's the Limit (the host of this Forum) and ask them.