Thread: How long and how many pads should I expect to go through before cleaning them out?

Post Thanks / Like

How long and how many pads should I expect to go through before cleaning them out?

I have done a grand total of one ceramic coat, which I did on a brand new car, and did it all by hand. The finish came out very good, and I was just scared to used a DA polisher due to fears of burning through the clearcoat. I now realize that this is very unlikely, and even a brand-new car would benefit from a compound/polish treatment.

First time using a DA polisher, ordered a Griot's garage G9 and 5 inch backing plate with pads. Kits comes with 2 orange and 2 black pads, also ordered 2 extra orange and black pads. Will be doing a large SUV, Genesis GV80 with a green pearl paintjob

My questions
    1. how long and how much surface area should I plan on compounding and polishing before needing to change/clean out the pads?

2. I have also seen that after washing out the pads, its ok to use if they are a little damp with more compound/polish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hoontang View Post

My questions
    1. how long and how much surface area should I plan on compounding and polishing before needing to change/clean out the pads?
    I think the bare minimum on a typical car is 4 pads with 6 being preferred. On a large suv, that minimum would probably be 6 with 8 being preferred. I generally break a car up into 18 to 24 inch square sections. After each section, I clean on the fly each pad with a brush and compressed air and after about 3, 4 or 5 sections, I notice the pads just aren't doing as well as they were and put a new pad on.

2. I have also seen that after washing out the pads, its ok to use if they are a little damp with more compound/polish.
    Depends on who you ask. I personally prefer a dry pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentinLouisville View Post
    I think the bare minimum on a typical car is 4 pads with 6 being preferred. On a large suv, that minimum would probably be 6 with 8 being preferred. I generally break a car up into 18 to 24 inch square sections. After each section, I clean on the fly each pad with a brush and compressed air and after about 3, 4 or 5 sections, I notice the pads just aren't doing as well as they were and put a new pad on.

Depends on who you ask. I personally prefer a dry pad.
    Excellent, thanks for the reply.

Could you go over specifically how you clean out your pads?

Post Thanks / Like
    Could you go over specifically how you clean out your pads?
    If possible, blowing the pad out with compressed air will clean the pads. If that doesn't work, I will use a not-too-stiff nylon brush to loosen up the spent compound/clear coat residue then blow off again with compressed air. Generally that will do the job but if not, I will (begrudgingly) scrub the pad with a wet terry cloth towel. I don't like to get a pad wet but, stuff happens sometimes. With the pad wet, I will spin as much water as possible out on speed six, blow dry (to some degree) with compressed air, take if off, sit it somewhere to dry to finish drying and use another pad. When that pad needs to be replaced, I may use that former pad (assuming it is dry by now) and give it another try unless I have plenty of clean pads to finish the car and don't need to worry about that hopefully now dried pad. I sometimes wonder if a pad washer with just water (no Snappy Clean or APC in it) would do the cleaning, spin and compress blow the pan then give the pad time to dry while using a different pad, and once dry, use it again?? Don't know, may try that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on your first ceramic coat! It's great to hear that you are now ready to take your detailing skills to the next level with a DA polisher.

To answer your questions:

How long and how much surface area should I plan on compounding and polishing before needing to change/clean out the pads?
    The answer to this question really depends on the condition of the paint and the type of compound and polish you are using. Generally speaking, you should plan on cleaning or changing your pads after every panel or section you work on. This will ensure that you are not spreading any contaminants or abrasive particles around on the paint, which could cause scratches or swirls.

As you work, pay attention to how the pad feels and how much product it is picking up. If the pad feels clogged or saturated with product, it's time to clean or change it. Similarly, if you notice any marring or hazing in the paint, it could be a sign that the pad is worn out and needs to be replaced.

I have also seen that after washing out the pads, it's ok to use if they are a little damp with more compound/polish.
    It is generally not recommended to use damp pads with compound or polish, as this can dilute the product and reduce its effectiveness. However, some detailers do use slightly damp pads to help spread the product more evenly and reduce dusting. If you do decide to use damp pads, make sure to wring them out thoroughly and use a fresh microfiber towel to dry them off before applying any product.

Overall, it's great that you are taking the time to learn how to use a DA polisher properly. Just remember to work carefully and pay attention to the condition of your pads and the paint as you go. Good luck!