Thread: Dust magnet with Cquartz UK3.0 topped with SIC

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Dust magnet with Cquartz UK3.0 topped with SIC

I coated my 22 Camaro ZL1 last summer and it is a constant dust magnet. I use Echo2 diluted as a quick detailer since I never drive in rain so it never gets dirty but just very dusty. I use a car duster followed with the Echo2 detail solution. I am guessing it is the Echo detail spray causing the static cling that attracts the dust and pollen. My daily driver GMC Sierra is also coated with the Cquartz and Sic but it doesn't get anywhere near the dust. I don't use quick detailer on it since I have to wash it ever couple weeks.

Is there any way to stop the dust on my camaro? Is there a detail spray that will not attract the dust?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsmarks79 View Post
    I coated my 22 Camaro ZL1 last summer and it is a constant dust magnet. I use Echo2 diluted as a quick detailer since I never drive in rain so it never gets dirty but just very dusty. I use a car duster followed with the Echo2 detail solution. I am guessing it is the Echo detail spray causing the static cling that attracts the dust and pollen.
    I doubt the Echo2 is causing that static. On the flip side, I could see the cloth fabric strands of the duster causing static as it rubs along the body panels. Recall what happens to someone's hair sometimes when they rub their hand along a sweater or blanket. Also, it just might be the vehicle. Some cars just seem to have issues with static, others do not even when you clean them the same.

There is a very easy way to test if the Echo2 or the duster are causing the static. The next few washes of the Camaro, leave the Echo and duster to the side and just wash it the same way you wash your GMC Sierra. After those few washes, if the car still is a static dust magnet, it would be the Camaro not the Echo or the duster. If the Camaro is not a static dust magnet, than you have isolated the issue to either the Echo2 or the duster. So, make the next few washes, rinseless washes with Echo2 and do not use the duster, and dry with a towel just like you use to dry your Sierra since it seems that towel does not cause static. If the static and dust return, it was Echo2 which I doubt will be the cause. If the static and dust do not return, it would be the duster causing the issue.

On a side note, I would look closely at the Camaro in the sun light to make sure you are not swirling the paint with the duster. I have probably seen at least a dozen show cars/garage queens which at one time were compounded/polished swirl free only to see swirls that perfectly match the arm stroke of the owner using a car duster at a car show. Dust being drug along clear coat with a car duster can and often does still swirl paint. Doing a good rinse free wash does not take much longer than a dusting and quick detail wipe down and is infinitely safer to the paint.

Is there any way to stop the dust on my camaro? Is there a detail spray that will not attract the dust?
    I don't know of any detail sprays/rinseless washes/waterless washes/spray waxes/spray sealants which actually attract dust, I can't imagine they would survive on the market once it was discovered that it attracted dust and as long as Echo2 has been on the market, I feel pretty good that the Echo2 is not the cause. There are however, detail sprays which advertise as having ingredients which make them static resistant. So, if you do the test above and discover it is the car itself, you could do some research online and see if you can find a highly recommended detail spray for static resistance.

3. Likes Jsmarks79 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What car duster is it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    What car duster is it?
    California Car duster

Post Thanks / Like
    California Car duster
    That’s your source of the dust. Stop using it and you should notice little to no dust accumulation.

7. Likes Jsmarks79 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    That’s your source of the dust. Stop using it and you should notice little to no dust accumulation.
    Guz gets to the point alot faster than I do, but same conclusion I as had.

9. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I washed the car Sunday with Car pro reset and 12 miles of driving it is covered in dust again. No road construction or farm fields just paved 2 lane to work. I have honestly never experienced this much dust in a short time on any vehicle I have ever owned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I washed the car Sunday with Car pro reset and 12 miles of driving it is covered in dust again. No road construction or farm fields just paved 2 lane to work. I have honestly never experienced this much dust in a short time on any vehicle I have ever owned.
    If I am interpreting your post, it sounds like you used neither the duster or Echo2. I would do a handful of more washes without the duster/Echo2 and examine the dust accumulation on the vehicle to make sure today wasn't an isolated event. If you do, and the car continues to accumulate dust at a rapid rate, then it must be something odd about the car itself. I used to work with someone who had a Jeep Cherokee and every time you would get out of the car, it would shock the snot out of you due to the static charge from the upholstery unless she applied some type of product to eliminate static. I could see that static making its way to the body panels. Maybe along with a static reducing detail spray find something to put on the upholstery and carpets. I'm grasping straws at this point to be honest.