Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oily film after applying car pro reload (2014 Formula)

Post Thanks / Like

Oily film after applying car pro reload (2014 Formula)

I need some help with the 2014 Formula Carpro Reload.

Today was my 1st time using it, topping my 1 week old CQUK.

1. Sprayed
    2. Spread
    3. Buff off

And i was using my Flex flashlight to inspect, it appears as a oily film all over the area i applied it to. I touched it with my finger and it would smear.

Took me FOREVER to buff that oily residue off, i ended up using Eraser as a aid to remove it.

Is this normal or what did i do wrong??

1 spray per section. (3 Section = Hood)
    Straight up.
    Color is Orange

Used several towels during application

About 3-4, if i don't hold the flex light to see the paint, that oily film won't be visible.

So if i were to just spread and buff it will look nice, but whenever there is a bright light shining at the section where i applied, u will see these oily residue all over. And if i swipe my finger across it, you can see its trace.

So i used Eraser to help, lightly misting my MF Towel to wipe the applied area, it'd easily remove that oily residue.... so i figure it is some sort of oil?

Post Thanks / Like

I have never had any problem with Reload. I think it's all in the proper process.

• Shake well and avoid use in direct sun on hot panels
    • Spray only the amount needed for one section
    • Immediately spread the product out with a short nap Microfiber Towel and immediately buff in and off.
    • IMPORTANT: Use a separate towel (I prefer the Crazy Pile towel) which will stay dry throughout as your final wipe towel. Buff the area once more to be sure no streak remains
    • Move to next section and repeat.

If you get any "overspray" make sure you buff it as well because if you let it sit to long it will smear on you a little bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did it inside my garage... About 1 spray per panel
    I was using a Eagle edgeless to spread, and i actually had a Crazy Pile as one of mu buff off. But didn't help much with the "OILY" film / residue i was seeing under the Flex Light....

Since i had to use Eraser to remove the oily stuff, did i remove the freshly applied Reload entirely?

Post Thanks / Like

I would guess that if your 2 towel buff method was leaving residue that you might need to flip the second towel more often. It should be almost dry as you buff. If it is wett from residue you could just be spreading it around and not removing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Troy has some great info for you there. I will add - Did you shake it very well? The first batch separated a bit and needs to be shaken well before use but works great once mixed. Its POSSIBLE putting that point light on it is deceiving you before the Reload cures. Give it a day on one of your panels and look again and update us! As for the eraser it may remove some of it. Just depends on how much was already bonded. Once bonded Eraser won't remove Reload.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think i shake it up pretty good.
    How long do i have to shake it? I usually shake way more/longer than is needed, i.e. Spray paint....

I had a thought that maybe Reload takes a while to cure.... but i didn't want to chance that and have a hell of a time to remove if i did waited. So for say, after applying and buffed off. How long should i wait for it to cure before i point light at it to double check?

PS: Will diluting help?
    Car and color is this

IMG_4403-640x480.jpg
    Last edited by Ivan Wong; 09-28-2014 at 04:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ivan/All,
    This thread I think was also posted over at AutoGeek, and if I can find the post there I'll probably respond in kind there also at some point.

This post might be slightly lengthy, but please bear with me.

To begin and as a prelogue, and have just bought and recieved two 500ml bottles of the new v2014 Formula of Reload just last week from AutoGeek, I was a little bit concerned about this issue you are having and praying to myself that this wasn't some new common issue with the new Reload Formula.

To note also, I do have about 2/3rds of a bottle of the older 2013 Reload Formula, have used it over CQuartz UK on both Chrome Wheels, and my Tahoe's White Paint, no issues with the older version at all, worked perfectly.

To further elaborate, and about my personal concerns, I've been detailing vehicles as a hobbyist for close to 40 years, and could also probably be considered a semi-pro for a good period of time because I once used to be paid to do people's vehicles, mostly classics and expensive American vehicles.

Wouldn't be the first time in my life that I had bought bum products not properly performing to their said claims, as on a few occasions back in the 80's and 90's I dealt with a small wax factory in Chicago called "Nu Look". Frank D'Amato the owner would give me a pint, or quart of new-fangled cutting edge detailing product he made, love it, go back and buy a gallon or more, then find issues, such as product not properly coming off, or vinyl-rubber dressings being as thin and as effective as plain water, etc.

So, I conducted myself a little "Reload 2014" test on my Kia just earlier this morning. This is the first time I've tried this new version, and my Kia is often a test bed for new products I acquire. It should be noted that about 2 weeks ago I washed, Clayed, did a 1-step Polish with Wolfgang Uber Compound, then coated the car first with Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating. I then topped with CP Reload v2013.

This morning, I did a simple wipe on the roof with plain water and a towel, then after did a wipe with CP Eraser and one short nap MF Towel.

OK, on goes the Reload v2014, I deliberately sprayed the product liberally, about 4 sprays of product per each side of roof, just used 1 crummy old short nap MF Towel again to rub in, and smooth. Walked around to the other side, and did the exact same thing. I only flipped the towel once, never came behind with more towels, and made short work of the application, not obsessing over continually wiping.

All looked good under the Carport Canopy, but did then back the car out into the sun to check.

I see absolutely no smearing, streaking, no oily haze, film, etc, and did do a finger swipe test and examined the finish closely. The vehicle's color is a dark Magenta Pearl Metallic, a fairly darkish color.
    The finish was dry to the touch right now, no oiliness at all, and the paint had a nice slick feel.

So, whatever your issue has been, it is possible something else is the issue, a previous product used perhaps, the particular paint on your vehicle, or perhaps a bad bottle of product? I just don't really know, especially as you say, this product was used in conjunction with CQ UK, all should've been just fine.

You noted no issues with the UK Application, correct? What Shampoo did you use prior to applying the Reload? Was any type of Shampoo etc used prior to Reload? Could this be the possible culprit with some sort of shine enhancers in it that is playing havoc?
    Mark
    Last edited by Mark; 09-29-2014 at 04:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The only other thing that comes to my mind, is severe climate conditions effecting a product? Meaning if-was the product possibly shipped during either extreme heat or cold conditions?

Although I live in the southwestern section of the USA, where the southern portion of this country does not usually get extremely bitter cold during winter, I usually refrain from buying-having car care products shipped in the extreme high heat of summer, or the ice cold of winter.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    OK Boys&Girls& Ivan, Here's a follow-up.

Just earlier I was out about town running a couple of quick errands.

After about 30 to 40 minute's time I examined the Roof again under bright Sunlight, the paint was almost too hot to the touch to keep your hand on the paint for 10 seconds. This is typical for here, in the New Mexico Southwest Desert.

Yes, then, I did notice some slight smearing on the paint, and when doing a finger swipe test it was appearing ever so slightly "Oily". I'm talking very very slight, but it is noticeable.

Now for me with this 14 year old car, a 2001 Kia Spectra, and my daily driver-beater-mobile, I'm not really that concerned. Now if it was a show-quality vehicle, or some other dark colored new-ish car, I might be more disliking seeing such occur.

Reasons for such I cannot of course accurately say what causes this, an ingredient in the product, or perhaps the product is of a such high concentration that maybe yes, a slight dilution with water might lessen or alleviate such a quality?

What I'm going to try in a little while since my car is back under the Carport Canopy and the paint is right now cool to the touch, I'm going to try an application of a good Detailer Spray, and see what the results are?

I'm also not sure if this slight smearing was also present with the older Reload Formula? I never tested for such, and have only used this product a couple of times also.

I will report back again with my findings, and I have two very decent Detailing Sprays I can test, Duragloss #521 Detailer Spray, and Pinnacle Crystal Mist Detailer. I'll try each on 1/2 of the Roof.

As for my thoughts-opinions about Carpro Reload, and how it should be used, I would imagine Reload was not designed or intended to be used as a Detailer Spray. While one could use this product for such, IMO such a product would be overkill to use after every wash.

I take it this product has two major purposes: One, to apply over CQuartz Coating to protect these Ceramic Coatings during initial cure time, to prevent any possibilities of water spot damage-etc.
    And two, to refresh the CQuartz Coatings, and should be only periodically used maybe every 3-6 months.

I would assume due to the very good durability of Reload,and it's resistance to harsh cleaners-chemicals, that no Detailer Spray is going to come along and somehow compromise this product.

I'll take en educated guess that applying a Detailer Spray over either CQuartz or Reload won't necessarily harm them, but only maybe slightly change their Hydrophobic qualities, and that when one wants to again re-apply CQuartz or refresh with Reload, that the use of CP Eraser will remove these less durable products.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Again, a short update. Applied Duragloss Detailer to 1/2 of Roof, Pinnacle Crystal Mist on the other.

Back out into the Sun to examine, no change, still the same ever so slight oily-ness and slight smearing.

What causes this, I'm of course not the chemist at Carpro to further elaborate. It might be one sole product in Reload, which is the ingredient that provides protection while CQuartz goes through its curing phase?

What will eliminate this smearing? At this point I just don't know? Perhaps a wash at some future point in time afterward?

Perhaps Corey and others can further elaborate, or make further suggestions, or perhaps someone will conduct some further testing?
    Mark

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast