Thread: Prep process to replace Gliss with SiC as a topper over ceramic coating?

Post Thanks / Like

Prep process to replace Gliss with SiC as a topper over ceramic coating?

Sorry for the cross post but it seems there is little to any traffic in the CQuartz forum.

Last spring I applied a ceramic coating on my cars followed with 2 coats of Gliss as a topper to help prevent water spots. It turned out great, and I'm very happy with the results. I love the look and slickness of Gliss but since Gliss has a one year life span, I'm looking ahead at applying SiC as a topper next spring to get the extra durability. I don't want to polish the car again and start over unless absolutely necessary.

My question is, what do I need to do to prepare the surface to accept SiC over the existing Gliss coating or how do I remove Gliss to prepare the existing ceramic coating to accept SiC without removing the existing ceramic coating?

Thank you for your help!

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope an expert will answer you on this

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by waelomar View Post
    I hope an expert will answer you on this
    Thanks for the follow up. I did contact the support desk by email and promptly received a message that I couldn't use CQuarts SIC over the top of Gliss without buffing the Gliss off and the ceramic coating I originally applied. I'm very pleased with the performance of the Gliss except for the longevity, so I'll just do the basic cleaning prep next spring/summer and apply a couple more coats of Gliss. Sometime in the future I'll want to start over. Then I'll reevaluate what I want to use then.

Thanks again!

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah agree with what support told you. SiC would be best applied to bare paint meaning polishing and using that as your source of protection. That goes for any of the actual coatings. You can add more Gliss after a decon wash.

Post Thanks / Like
    thats great